Friday, August 27, 2010

3 museums and a funeral


There is no funeral. Well, I'm sure there was one somewhere in the world today, but I didn't go to it. Thank God. I think after all the funerals I've been to over the past year, I'd like a break. No death. For a while. Please.

We did wake up to rain this morning, scads and scads of it. Torrential downpour-style. I-don't-want-to-get-out-of-bed-but-my-canal-trip-ticket-is-already-paid-for sort of rain.

I did get out of bed, and I did go on a canal tour which was lovely even with the rain. Then I got Mom some fabric at the Albert Cuypr market and bought myself some boots - practical souvenir, people - and then went off to 3 museums.

The Hermitage is an amazing place. For two reasons:

1) It showcases collections from the St. Petersburg Hermitage. This is a pretty cool relationship.

2) There was a lovely, lovely, lovely Matisse to Malevich exhibition and I saw Picasso, Mattise, Kadinsky's compositions - Whoa. I never liked Kandinsky's composition no 5 before, but I LOVED it in the museum. It was alive on the wall.

The Amsterdam History Museum is also amazing, mostly for the map that shows the growth of Amsterdam's population over time, since about 320 ish. I personally did not understand the fuss about Rembrandt's anatomy lesson paintings, which kind of grossed me out, especially the one with a brain opening. But I suppose I can see why they were important for the time.

And finally, the New Church. It's 600 years old. Mostly I was tired at this point and really wanted to sit down in a holy place and just think for a bit. Of course, I entered the New Church to find that there is renovation going on, and not really a space to sit. But the stained glass windows were amazing, and I sat on the stairs by the altar and thought for a while. And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment