Tuesday, August 31, 2010

places in the heart

"Man has places in the heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence." - Leon Bloy



Let's be honest, this is a fun trip, not one full of suffering. I am learning a lot and having a good time. But this morning I woke up and felt a little off. Sort of like that sign that means no people. (we think it means no people, but are unsure because there are no words. Although we wouldn't know what it meant anyway if there were words, because they'd be in Dutch. But that sign is what I felt like wearing when I woke up.) And then I read an e-mail from k8 and just wanted to call her, but couldn't because I am not using a phone here and it was not a good time for her to skype, considering it was 3 in the morning her time. And I really missed my friends. Everyone on the trip is pretty great, I really like them. I think if Maren and I don't kill each other in the next three weeks, we'll be bonded for life and able to go just about anywhere together. (Sharing a closet and sharing a bathroom with tourists across the hall who don't know how to flush the toilet or put the lid down are both really good team-building endeavors, just in case you need some good team-building challenges.)

But there's a difference in people you like and have known for ten minutes and people you like and have known for ten years. And know you back.

And then on the way to Coolhaven Metro station I saw a puppy, a little golden ball of fluff I wanted to pick up, and then I found myself telling Scott all about Wallace. How every morning we'd wake up and go out and walk. And how he waited for me at the door. And it made me want to cry, I missed him so much. I still do. It's really odd, because he died in July. Okay, so maybe it's not so odd that I'm still sad. But I spent the first two weeks of July mostly in a state of profound detachment from most of what was going on, crying at inopportune moments like staff meetings.

For a dog.

I am that girl.

So today I was sad in Rotterdam. I missed my friends and my dog and I would also like to let everyone know that I will never take a bathroom for granted again. Just so we're clear.

But we'll be at the Hotel Baan in Rotterdam until September 17th, and if anyone wants to send me a postcard, I would thank you from the bottom of my heart. And perhaps love you a little more. And I'm not above resorting to bribery - if I get a postcard here, I cross my heart I'll bring you something back from the Rotterdam Flea Market.

The address is:

G.B.
Hotel Baan
Room 8
Rochussenstraat 345
3023 DH Rotterdam
Netherlands

No comments:

Post a Comment