Saturday, August 28, 2010

my feet turn the corner back home / sun turns the evening to rose - the weepies


I've had the Weepies in my head all along in Amsterdam. Mostly songs from Deb Talan's solo album, A Bird Flies Out, but also Can't Go Back Now...and others...They just seem to fit this city. Although I've mostly actually heard loud American pop playing in cafes, hotels, etc. You know, a little Pink at the flea market can be nice. Also, they really like George Michael.

But in the lovely green of the Botanical Gardens, the Weepies are a great internal soundtrack.

This might have been my favorite destination so far. I walked in and it smelled SO GOOD. Butterflies in the greenhouse, a South African greenhouse with a walkway above all the plants, plentiful benches, some palm trees, not very many people, and a lovely cafe. At which I ate the best salad ever: greens with avocado, cucumbers, green peppers, asparagus, and green beans. YUM.

I spent a lot of time here writing postcards and thinking about all this beauty around me.

I stayed til they closed, and when I walked out, there was a wedding party having a reception at the cafe. I wondered if red was a popular color for weddings, or if the bride just told people to wear red, because the whole group of lovely tall handsome Dutch people were arrayed in tuxedos with red bow ties, or in a gray suit with a red flower in the lapel, or a black and white strapless dress with a red ribbon as a belt. And a little girl with a bright red rose in her hair. It was absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't take a picture because my camera battery was dead. But I hope you can imagine it - this lovely group in front of the cafe, drinking cocktails in front of the sun reflecting on the canal.

It was a nice way to end our week in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment