Saturday, September 4, 2010

"Is that what it is? I thought somebody hit you." - Jonathan

I got what I thought was a spider bite in Amsterdam approximately a week ago, and you can still faintly see the red-fading-to-purple-and-brown on my right arm.

Maren freaked me out because her aunt got bitten by a brown recluse spider once and had to have necrotic tissue removed from her arm. She said I should go to the Dutch doctor. I said I would closely monitor the bite and see if it got worse. Then of course I freaked out and researched Dutch spiders. There are two deaths a year in Holland attributable to spiders. I thought it would be just my luck to be one of those two.

But turns out it's just mosquitoes. Who would have thought Holland would be plagued by mosquitoes? Not me.

I learned that Trent's wife Melinda, is also loved by mosquitoes, and she gave me this great stuff, After Bite, earlier this week. I love it. It made the bite stop itching and mostly I forgot about it and mosquitoes.

But at the Hoge Veluwe Park yesterday, I got a line of mosquito bites down my left arm, from the top of my shoulder to my elbow, and I apparently scratched all eight of them in my sleep, because this morning I went down to breakfast, and it looked like a bunch of bruises.

It's highly attractive, let me tell you. I am a dermatologist's dream patient right now. Maybe I could take a picture and be published in some medical journal about mosquito bites in developed countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment