Thursday, September 9, 2010

Visualization with Andrea

Our 2nd class with Andrea was as awesome as the first one. We discussed visualization projects: taking all the data amassed during research projects and making it real in ways you can see. I loved the sample projects Andrea had posted around the room: a huge map of the most frequently edited Wikipedia articles, a color coded U.N. chart of world poverty levels, a grid of cell phone usage at a train station in Milan over a 24 hour period. (See right.)My favorite – well, let me clarify by saying it is not my favorite in the sense that I liked it, more in the sense that I think it is a super powerful way of seeing what we value as a nation – was the 2007 version of Death and Taxes by Jess Bachman. You can see his 2011 version here. It brings the U.S. budget to light. Go look at it and think about how to vote next time you have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment